- Position: Staff Accountant
- Reports to: Controller
- Location: STRIVE Prep- Central Office (Denver, CO)
- Salary: $55,000
STRIVE Prep is a Denver-based community of public charter schools that challenges every student to strive for college and thrive throughout life by helping them to discover and develop the knowledge, skills and confidence necessary to succeed in college and beyond. We encourage you to read our 2020 Impact Report and learn more about what a career at STRIVE Prep is like here.
We seek dedicated educators that live STRIVE Prep’s core values every day:
Core Beliefs - Achievement
- Commitment 1: I commit to celebrating academic and personal success for all.
- Commitment 2: I commit to holding myself and others accountable to high expectations.
- Commitment 3: I commit to bringing passion and joy to my work.
Core Beliefs - Justice
- Commitment 1: I commit to intentionally disrupt inequity, bias, and systems of oppression.
- Commitment 2: I commit to creating an environment of safe body, mind, and heart.
- Commitment 3: I commit to building a community where each person can bring their full, authentic self.
Core Beliefs - Perseverance
- Commitment 1: I commit to the belief that we grow and get smarter through effort and by making mistakes.
- Commitment 2: I commit to showing up Con Ganas, where we never give up even when the work is hard.
- Commitment 3: I commit to showing up with integrity and doing the right thing even when the road is tough.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
The staff accountant is responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping and accounting duties including but not limited to: financial record maintenance and transactions such as accounts payable, commercial card reconciliation, accounts receivable; assisting public fund reimbursements and preparation for annual audit. This role requires professionalism and tact in communications with a variety of individuals, strong time management skills, acute attention to detail, and the ability to work well with schools’ administrative teams.
- Process payment request with the required paperwork and approval on a weekly basis
- Bookkeep the API entry with the correct fund code, GL code, grant code, job code, program code, effective date, transaction amount, and description
- Create the positive pay report on the same day when the checks are mailed
- Maintain and organize a completed AP record/files (copy of checks, invoices, approval emails, ACH vouchers, credit card payment receipt, etc.)
- Request the W-9, ACH info form and the acceptable payment methods from the new vendors to establish the vendor profile
- Update the AP status to the Controller at the weekly check-in
- Assist the Controller to reconcile the accruals and track the payment status
- Maintain and organize the monthly bank transaction folder
- Reconcile the supporting files with the bank records
- On a semi-monthly basis, bookkeep the bank disbursement and cash receipt entries with the correct fund code, GL code, grant code, job code, program code, effective date, transaction amount and description
- Bookkeep the monthly earnings from the investment account
- Bookkeep the monthly PERA entry, HSA entry, and 401K entry
- Bookkeep the journal entries provided by the Controller and maintain the supporting files
- Assist Controller to prepare for the annual auditing/other accounting projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field
- 3 years' experience in bookkeeping and AP clerk
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and MS-Office Suite
- Demonstrated experience in an accounting role while working with multiple stakeholders
- Experience with Abila MIP Fund accounting
- Experience in governmental accounting
- Certified Public Accountant license
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time exempt position and is eligible for the following compensation and benefits:
*Competitive base compensation based on years of required experience and other relevant factors allowable by Colorado law and STRIVE Prep policy.
Health benefits (eligibility for full-time employees only)
- 100% employer-paid premium for employee-only medical coverage
- Company Paid Employee Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life (Employee, Spouse, Child)
- Voluntary Critical Illness & Accidental Coverage
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
Participation in the Colorado Public Employee Retirement Association (PERA) pension program (in lieu of Social Security tax) with an option to elect into a competitive 401(k) plan.
Applicable Pay for Performance increase upon successful completion of a full school year
Time off benefits (eligibility for full-time employees only)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Vacation Time (PVT) for Central Office staff
- Paid Designated Breaks
- Up to 6 weeks of paid Family Leave (upon eligibility)
- Paid Sabbatical (upon eligibility)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
STRIVE Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. STRIVE Prep works to make a college preparatory education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception. To achieve this we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse team by maintaining hiring and recruiting processes that are free from bias.